Friday, December 3, 2010

Job hunting lead to other thinkings

Is it really worth the money and time to get a master's degree at a prestigious school? I spent $100000 for my masters' degree in statistics at Columbia University. Yet, upon graduation I couldn't find a job. I admit for most part of it is because i haven't try hard enough for the job hunting. I had been to 4 interviews on campus and offered a final round of interview at Towers Watson as a executive compensation analyst. During the final interview at Towers Watson, I met all other candidates for the same job. Most of them are undergrad seniors, and that makes me feel old and overqualified. Secretly, i thought i am much better than those undergrad seniors. Despite all of that wishful thinking and confidence, I didn't get the offer. I said to myself :"the job is just too simple for me anyways." Meaning: " I am overqualified for the job anyways." Then i started to think, maybe I am just confused what should i do with my life and with my future. Should i be a financial analyst? Is it really for me? Am i qualified for the job? Do i have the required skills to get a job like that? Those are the questions that i want to find out and haven't yet. The reason I got a master's degree in statistics is because I think data is very important in the information age. Therefore the ability to analyzing data is crucial and important. Even tough i struggled through all the classes and courses, i still managed to finish the course and get my diploma. I am proud of myself on that part, the finishing part. I just got keep going and fighting to find out all about this.

No comments: