Saturday, May 14, 2011

Information Drowning

I subscribed Wall Street Journal about 3 months ago. I also have other publications like Economist, Time, and Fortune come to my door regularly. Since I want to be a trendy and a stylish guy, I subscribed GQ, Men's Journal as well. I bought about 40 books in the last 5months. Buying and subscribing those books and magazines were the exciting part, but it seems I can never finish reading them. I feel like I am drowning in the information age, I can never finish reading all those information. I have this anxiety about not be able to finsih reading all those things. Then I thought, "what's the purpose of reading all of those things in the first place?". Is it because I want to know about current events? Since English is my second language, maybe secretly I thought reading those materials would increase my reading ability and vocabularies? I guess I failed to realize the true purpose of this activity. I want to increase my knowledge, but in the process I lost the enjoyment that I am suppose to have. To be honest, I don't feel any pleasure reading some of the articles and books. Sometimes I feel it's boring and tedious, maybe because the topic wasn't interest to me?
I think I should have a set of goals and purpose in mind whenever I am reading something. Otherwise I would be just lost in the process and wasting time and energy on the things that don't count toward my real goals.

No comments: